Gaza Hamas rulers to start campaign to catch spies
Gaza City: Gaza`s Hamas rulers say they will begin a new campaign to find Palestinian collaborators with Israel.
Col. Mohammed Lafi of Gaza`s Interior Ministry said today that the campaign aims to protect Palestinian militant groups battling Israel. Lafi says they will also warn other Palestinians of the dangers of spying.
Israel security officials have long relied on a network of informants in the Palestinian territories to keep tabs on militants.
Since Hamas seized power in Gaza in 2007, it has taken a tough line on Palestinians accused of collaboration with Israel. Gunmen have killed more than 24 suspected collaborators, and jailed 20 suspects.
A Palestinian rights group urged Hamas to ensure fair trials for the accused.
Lafi says the campaign, including TV ads and offers of amnesty, will begin on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog