Gaza LIVE: Did Qatar torpedo Israel-Hamas truce talks in Cairo?
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
According to a report in Al-Hayat that quoted a Fatah official, Qatar threatened to expel Hamas leader Khalid Meshaal if it accepted an Egyptian peace proposal.
The report further adds that Hamas demanded that Egypt grant Qatar a role in resolving the Gaza crisis, but Cairo did not relish the idea, putting a condition that Qatar must formally apologise for its policies in Egypt after Morsi`s overthrow.
— Dr.Bassel Abuwarda (@DrBasselAbuward) August 21, 2014
In a statement issued yesterday evening, Netanyahu said that the entire world was shocked by t he beheading of a US journalist by the ISIS, and that Israel too was facing similar savagery at the hands of Hamas.
“Hamas is like ISIS, ISIS is like Hamas... they are the branches of the same tree.. entire world is shocked by the beheading of a US journalist... we face similar savagery... by those (Hamas) who want to rocket to cities, conduct mass killings, murder children, teenager, and use their own people as human shields they are enemies of all civilised countries,” said Netanyahu.
WATCH: PM Netanyahu, this evening: "Hamas is like ISIS. ISIS is like Hamas. They're branches of the same tree" http://t.co/QJnaLtDxiw
— PM of Israel (@IsraeliPM) August 20, 2014
Attar and Abu Shamala were high-ranking Hamas commanders responsible for major terror attacks against Israelis.
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) August 21, 2014
After a 10-day period of quiet, heavy fighting resumed between Israel and Hamas resulting in more than 20 casualties on Wednesday. More than 2100 Palestinians have died in the Operation Protective Edge that was launched by Israel on July 8 to halt Hamas rockets.
Israel recalled its negotiators from Cairo after Gaza violated the ceasefire by firing three rockets towards Israel.
Egypt, which has been sincerely trying to broker a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, today expressed its "profound regret at the breach of the ceasefire in Gaza" and urged both the warring sides to resume negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part IV
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- Normandy church attack: French priest, two hostage takers killed; Islamic State claims responsibility
- Kargil war: When Pakistan faced stinging defeat at the hands of India - Watch
- Narsingh Yadav Doping Scandal: Wrestler's food was spiked by an intruder, reveals hostel cook
- Chhattisgarh using only its share of Mahanadi water: Raman Singh
- Assembly elections: AAP to release 'Dalit Manifestos' in Punjab, Gujarat, Goa