Gaza LIVE: Did Qatar torpedo Israel-Hamas truce talks in Cairo?
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
According to a report in Al-Hayat that quoted a Fatah official, Qatar threatened to expel Hamas leader Khalid Meshaal if it accepted an Egyptian peace proposal.
The report further adds that Hamas demanded that Egypt grant Qatar a role in resolving the Gaza crisis, but Cairo did not relish the idea, putting a condition that Qatar must formally apologise for its policies in Egypt after Morsi`s overthrow.
— Dr.Bassel Abuwarda (@DrBasselAbuward) August 21, 2014
In a statement issued yesterday evening, Netanyahu said that the entire world was shocked by t he beheading of a US journalist by the ISIS, and that Israel too was facing similar savagery at the hands of Hamas.
“Hamas is like ISIS, ISIS is like Hamas... they are the branches of the same tree.. entire world is shocked by the beheading of a US journalist... we face similar savagery... by those (Hamas) who want to rocket to cities, conduct mass killings, murder children, teenager, and use their own people as human shields they are enemies of all civilised countries,” said Netanyahu.
WATCH: PM Netanyahu, this evening: "Hamas is like ISIS. ISIS is like Hamas. They're branches of the same tree" http://t.co/QJnaLtDxiw
— PM of Israel (@IsraeliPM) August 20, 2014
Attar and Abu Shamala were high-ranking Hamas commanders responsible for major terror attacks against Israelis.
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) August 21, 2014
After a 10-day period of quiet, heavy fighting resumed between Israel and Hamas resulting in more than 20 casualties on Wednesday. More than 2100 Palestinians have died in the Operation Protective Edge that was launched by Israel on July 8 to halt Hamas rockets.
Israel recalled its negotiators from Cairo after Gaza violated the ceasefire by firing three rockets towards Israel.
Egypt, which has been sincerely trying to broker a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, today expressed its "profound regret at the breach of the ceasefire in Gaza" and urged both the warring sides to resume negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!