Gaza LIVE: Israel says will destroy Hamas tunnels `with or without ceasefire`
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
"The army has issued 16,000 additional mobilisation orders to allow troops on the ground to rest, which takes the total number of reservists to 86,000," an army spokeswoman said.
WATCH: Walk-through of a Gazan Mosque complete with a weapons cache and two tunnel openings under the prayer room. http://t.co/bBiKevpp1s
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) July 31, 2014
"The rights of Palestinians, and even their children, are wholesale denied... and its appalling," an apparently phlegmatic Chris Gunness, UNWRA spokesperson, could only articulate these words after which he covered his face with his hands and broke into audible sobs.
— Chris Gunness (@ChrisGunness) July 31, 2014
Also Read: Gaza: A `Normal` Season of Death
#Gaza: 219,657 displaced Palestinian civilians are now sheltering in 86 UNRWA shelters. That's an average of 2,554 people per school.
— UNRWA (@UNRWA) July 31, 2014
"The school itself was not targeted, it was nearby the school," the CNN quoted Adnan Abu Hasna, a spokesman for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) as saying.
"We will investigate that. And if we find that it was errant fire from Israel I`m sure we will apologise, Government spokesman Mark Regev told the BBC.
In a strong condemnation of the Israeli shelling on a UN school in Gaza that killed 16 civilians, UN chief Ban Ki-moon said that it was an outrageous and unjustifiable act as `nothing is more shameful than attacking sleeping children”, adding that UN shelters should be safe zones, not combat zones.
In Costa Rica for an official trip, Mr Ban said, “I condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. It is outrageous. It is unjustifiable. And it demands accountability and justice”.
The attack on the UN-run school in Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza has invited furious denunciation from UN bodies with them calling for international political action to stop the bloodshed.
The school that was run by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) was said to house more than 3000 Palestinian refugees at the time of attack, says the UN.
According to an initial assessment by the UN, Israel shelled the UNRWA school at least three occasions, in spite of the UN body`s repeated communication to the Israeli Army about the location of the school.
Calling the school attack a source of universal shame, the UNRWA Commissioner General, Pierre Krähenbühl said, “The precise location of the Jabalia Elementary Girls School and the fact that it was housing thousands of internally displaced people was communicated to the Israeli army seventeen times, to ensure its protection...the last being at ten to nine last night, just hours before the fatal shelling.”
“I call on the international community to take deliberate international political action to put an immediate end to the continuing carnage,” he added.
UN Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson stressed on the significance of “putting people first” in wake of rising death toll, saying `enough is enough`.
— United Nations (@UN) July 31, 2014
Meanwhile, Israel-Gaza violence continued after a four-hour lull as the IDF opened a humanitarian window in Gaza from 15:00 to 19:00.
However, Israel said that Hamas continued firing rockets even during the truce.
“Since 15:00, when the IDF authorized a humanitarian window in Gaza, 26 rockets have been fired at Israe.” the IDF posted on Twitter.
The Israeli Army said that “Gaza terrorists fired more than 140 rockets at Israel over the past 24 hours. That`s almost 1 rocket every 10 minutes,” adding that over 50 of them fell in Gaza itself.
50 of the rockets fired from Gaza in the last 24 hours landed in Gaza.
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) July 30, 2014
With fiercer violence continuing, the Palestinian death toll has crossed 1300, also the Israeli Army lost three more soldiers yesterday taking the troops toll past 55.
Israel launched a ground offensive in Gaza ten days after it started Operation Protective Edge, aiming to destroy a network of underground tunnels, which Israel says, are used by the Hamas to infiltrate and plan attacks on Israelis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh