Gaza Premier plays down talks with Israel
Tunis: The Prime Minister of the Gaza government said on Thursday the first meeting between Israeli and Palestinian peace negotiators in more than a year was "a futile gesture" that will lead nowhere.
Ismail Haniyeh of the Palestinian faction Hamas received a hero`s welcome at Tunisia`s airport where he was greeted by thousands of people chanting their support for the Palestinian cause. He also met with Tunisia`s new Prime Minister, Hamadi Jebali.
"We are not optimistic. It is a futile gesture which will lead nowhere," Haniyeh said regarding Tuesday`s Israeli-Palestinian talks in Jordan. The meeting ended without any significant breakthroughs, and Israel and the Palestinians remain far from agreement on key issues to resolve their decades-long conflict. But the talks are to continue.
Haniyeh is on an official tour of the Muslim world, his first trip outside the blockaded territory since the Islamist group took over Gaza in 2007.
In an interview, Haniyeh said on Thursday he is visiting Tunisia to congratulate the country on the success of its revolution which launched the Arab Spring. Tunisia deposed its long-ruling dictator in January 2011, sparking uprisings across the region.
Hamas officials say the goal of Haniyeh`s trip is to improve ties with Muslim countries swept up in the uprisings shaking the Arab world.
Hamas and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas Fatah movement joined in a short-lived unity government following 2006 Parliamentary Elections. But the following year the alliance shattered and Hamas seized control of the Gaza Strip during several days of fighting, leaving the Fatah-led Palestinian Authority in charge in the West Bank. Repeated attempts at reconciliation failed, and both sides have cracked down on the other in their respective territories.
Reconciliation talks currently under way with Egyptian mediation appear to be making progress, with both Fatah and Hamas saying they hope to allow Palestinian elections to go ahead in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read