Gaza rocket explodes in Israel, rattles cease-fire
Jerusalem: The ceasefire between Israel and Gaza was violated on Tuesday as the Gaza militants fired a rocket across the border.
It is after three months that the truce was broken and in response Israel closed Gaza`s main cargo crossing.
"Quiet will be met with quiet, missiles will be met with a response “said Israeli President Shimon Peres, according to Associated Press.
Militants claiming affiliation with the Al Aqsa Martyrs` Brigades, a violent offshoot of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas` Fatah, movement took responsibility.
They said in an email to journalists that they fired the rocket to avenge the death of a Palestinian in Israeli custody. It was impossible to independently verify the claim of responsibility.
The detainee, Arafat Jaradat, 30, died over the weekend after interrogation by Israel`s Shin Bet security services. Palestinian officials, citing an autopsy, said the detainee was tortured, while Israel says more tests are needed to determine the cause of death.
Jaradat`s death has sparked protests in the West Bank, including near the town of Bethlehem on Monday.
Two Palestinian teens, ages 13 and 16, were wounded in a confrontation with Israeli soldiers. The older boy was transferred to Jerusalem`s Hadassah Hospital after being shot in the head and was in critical condition Tuesday, hooked up to a respirator, officials said.
The rocket from Gaza landed south of the Israeli city of Ashkelon early Tuesday, said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld. The rocket caused damage to a road but no injuries, he said.
It was the first rocket fired from Gaza since Israel`s military offensive against rocket squads in the coastal strip last November. The Hamas militant group has ruled Gaza since ousting forces loyal to Abbas in 2007.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Madame Tussauds to unveil PM Narendra Modi's wax statue in London today
- WATCH: Hilarious! Chris Gayle performs on 'Champion' song; asks fans to contact him for bookings
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: SC to hear plea next week on FIR against 'bribe-takers'
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil