Gaza ship raid `completely unacceptable`: British PM
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron
said on Wednesday that an Israeli raid on Gaza-bound aid ships was
In his first public comments on the situation, Cameron
said he had also spoken to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip
Erdogan "to extend our condolences for the Turkish citizens
who have been lost".
"What has happened is completely unacceptable, we should
be clear about that and we should also deplore the loss of
life," Cameron told lawmakers at his first Prime Minister`s
Questions session since taking power last month.
"We should do everything we can to make sure this doesn`t
happen again and I stressed this point in a conversation with
Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel," he added.
Nine people were killed, reportedly including four Turks,
on Monday when a flotilla of boats heading for Gaza was
boarded by Israeli commandos in international waters. Britain
says 37 British nationals were on board.
Hundreds of activists were detained and are being
deported from Israel.
Another ship, the MV Rachel Corrie, is currently en route
for Gaza, potentially setting up a fresh showdown.
On the blockade of Gaza, Cameron added: "Friends of
Israel, and I count myself a friend of Israel, should be
saying to the Israelis that the blockade actually strengthens
Hamas`s grip on the economy and on Gaza and it`s in their
own interests to lift it".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced