Gaza`s Hamas says ready to cede power to Abbas
Gaza City: A spokesman says Gaza`s ruling Hamas movement is willing to cede power to an interim unity government led by its longtime rival, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
Fawzi Barhoum on Tuesday played down criticism by senior Hamas figures in Gaza who said a decision to have Abbas lead the transitional government ahead of general elections violates Palestinian law.
The decision was made Monday by Abbas and Hamas` exiled chief, Khaled Mashaal, and was seen as a decisive step toward reconciliation. The Palestinians have had separate governments — Hamas in Gaza and Abbas in the West Bank — since a violent split in 2007.
Hamas leaders in Gaza now stand to lose influence. However, Barhoum said the deal was approved by Hamas` institutions and the movement is ready to implement it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security