Gazprom delays Ukraine gas deadline to June 10
Moscow: Russia`s gas giant Gazprom said today it was giving Ukraine an extra day to start paying for gas ahead of time or risk a cut in its supply.
"On the request of Ukrainian side, the deadline for regulating the problems on payments has been postponed to June 10 because June 9 is a public holiday in Ukraine," Gazprom said in a statement.
The announcement came after chief executive Alexei Miller held talks with the head of Ukrainian gas company Naftogaz, Andriy Kobolev, in Berlin.
Gazprom had earlier postponed the deadline from June 3 to 9 after Kiev made an initial payment of $786 million to cover outstanding bills.
Moscow hiked the amount that Ukraine must pay for its gas to USD 500 per 1,000 cubic metres, the highest price of any of Gazprom`s clients in Europe, after the ouster in February of Ukraine`s Kremlin-backed president.
Russian gas transiting through Ukraine amounts to around 15 per cent of gas consumed by the European Union.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India