Gazprom delays Ukraine gas deadline to June 10
Moscow: Russia`s gas giant Gazprom said today it was giving Ukraine an extra day to start paying for gas ahead of time or risk a cut in its supply.
"On the request of Ukrainian side, the deadline for regulating the problems on payments has been postponed to June 10 because June 9 is a public holiday in Ukraine," Gazprom said in a statement.
The announcement came after chief executive Alexei Miller held talks with the head of Ukrainian gas company Naftogaz, Andriy Kobolev, in Berlin.
Gazprom had earlier postponed the deadline from June 3 to 9 after Kiev made an initial payment of $786 million to cover outstanding bills.
Moscow hiked the amount that Ukraine must pay for its gas to USD 500 per 1,000 cubic metres, the highest price of any of Gazprom`s clients in Europe, after the ouster in February of Ukraine`s Kremlin-backed president.
Russian gas transiting through Ukraine amounts to around 15 per cent of gas consumed by the European Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen