`Gen Liang`s visit signals normalisation of China-India ties`
Beijing: As Chinese Defence Minister General Liang Guanglie started his official tour to India, analysts here said his visit signals bilateral military exchanges were back on track, paving the way for cooperation on security issues.
Liang`s visit showed that military exchanges between Asia`s two largest powers have "returned to normal", Fu Xiaoqiang, an expert on South Asian studies at the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations, told state-run China Daily.
"I think visit of General Liang will also enrich the two countries` cooperation in military and security," as the defence ties were on hold since 2004, Fu said.
Gen Liang`s delegation also includes senior officers from the South Sea Fleet of Chinese navy.
"I would rather see the current political climate as an opportunity for China and India. If the two handle it properly, dialogues on various issues will help us avoid doubts and embrace more opportunities for the comprehensive development of Sino-Indian relations," he said.
These are the first comments from the Chinese establishment on Gen Liang`s visit which is first by Chinese Defence Minister in eight years.
According to the Ministry of National Defence, Liang and his delegation, includes high-ranking members of the Chinese defence and military establishment.
The India-China defence suffered a major set back in 2009 when China began issuing visas for resident of Jammu and Kashmir on a piece of paper instead of stamping on the passport stating that it was a disputed territory.
India virtually called off military exchanges after visa was denied to a top army official of the Northern Command on the ground that he headed forces in the disputed region.
Beijing finally relented by informally conveying to India that the practice has been stopped even though there nothing has been stated in writing. Since then pace of visits by Indian delegations which included officials from the Northern Command have picked up.
The Deputy Chief of Staff of People`s Liberation Army, (PLA) Ma Xiaotian visited New Delhi in last December to take part in the Defence and Security dialogue.
An Indian defence delegation also recently visited for the first time Tibet besides other centres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide