Genocide indictment has false evidence: Karadzic
The Hague: Major events in Bosnia`s war -- the 44-month Serb siege of Sarajevo and the massacre of 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica -- are "myths" that were staged or fabricated to vilify Serbs, Radovan Karadzic declared on Tuesday at his Yugoslav war crimes trial.
Speaking on the second day of his defense, the wartime
Bosnian Serb leader said the genocide indictment against him
was riddled with false evidence. He also denied Serb
culpability in the 1992-1995 war that killed 100,000 people.
Prosecutors say Karadzic was the "supreme commander" of
a campaign to kill or expel Muslims and Croats from eastern
Bosnia and create an ethnically pure Serbian state. He is
charged with two counts of genocide and nine other counts of
murder, extermination, persecution, forced deportation and the
seizing of 200 UN hostages.
He faces possible life imprisonment if convicted.
During seven hours stretched over two days, Karadzic gave
a uniquely Serb view of events. His account stood in glaring
contrast to news reports and television footage at the time
and also contradicted the verdicts against Bosnian Serb
political leaders and military commanders who are already
serving long sentences for war crimes.
Karadzic boasted that by the end of his trial he would
prove those men innocent.
"I am not afraid of these proceedings. It is with great
enthusiasm that I am preparing for these proceedings," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown