Genocide indictment has false evidence: Karadzic
The Hague: Major events in Bosnia`s war -- the 44-month Serb siege of Sarajevo and the massacre of 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica -- are "myths" that were staged or fabricated to vilify Serbs, Radovan Karadzic declared on Tuesday at his Yugoslav war crimes trial.
Speaking on the second day of his defense, the wartime
Bosnian Serb leader said the genocide indictment against him
was riddled with false evidence. He also denied Serb
culpability in the 1992-1995 war that killed 100,000 people.
Prosecutors say Karadzic was the "supreme commander" of
a campaign to kill or expel Muslims and Croats from eastern
Bosnia and create an ethnically pure Serbian state. He is
charged with two counts of genocide and nine other counts of
murder, extermination, persecution, forced deportation and the
seizing of 200 UN hostages.
He faces possible life imprisonment if convicted.
During seven hours stretched over two days, Karadzic gave
a uniquely Serb view of events. His account stood in glaring
contrast to news reports and television footage at the time
and also contradicted the verdicts against Bosnian Serb
political leaders and military commanders who are already
serving long sentences for war crimes.
Karadzic boasted that by the end of his trial he would
prove those men innocent.
"I am not afraid of these proceedings. It is with great
enthusiasm that I am preparing for these proceedings," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report