Genocide indictment has false evidence: Karadzic
The Hague: Major events in Bosnia`s war -- the 44-month Serb siege of Sarajevo and the massacre of 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica -- are "myths" that were staged or fabricated to vilify Serbs, Radovan Karadzic declared on Tuesday at his Yugoslav war crimes trial.
Speaking on the second day of his defense, the wartime
Bosnian Serb leader said the genocide indictment against him
was riddled with false evidence. He also denied Serb
culpability in the 1992-1995 war that killed 100,000 people.
Prosecutors say Karadzic was the "supreme commander" of
a campaign to kill or expel Muslims and Croats from eastern
Bosnia and create an ethnically pure Serbian state. He is
charged with two counts of genocide and nine other counts of
murder, extermination, persecution, forced deportation and the
seizing of 200 UN hostages.
He faces possible life imprisonment if convicted.
During seven hours stretched over two days, Karadzic gave
a uniquely Serb view of events. His account stood in glaring
contrast to news reports and television footage at the time
and also contradicted the verdicts against Bosnian Serb
political leaders and military commanders who are already
serving long sentences for war crimes.
Karadzic boasted that by the end of his trial he would
prove those men innocent.
"I am not afraid of these proceedings. It is with great
enthusiasm that I am preparing for these proceedings," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read