George and I were poisoned at G8 summit: Laura Bush
New York: Former US first lady Laura Bush writes in her forthcoming autobiography that she and her husband George W Bush may have been poisoned when they became ill at a summit in Germany in 2007, the New York Times reported on Wednesday.
Writing in her book `Spoken from the Heart`, due to be released in May, Laura Bush says that the US Secret Service probed whether the presidential delegation may have been poisoned at the G8 summit.
George W Bush spent part of the summit bedridden.
Doctors concluded that they had contracted a virus, she said, according to the Times report.
However "we never learned if any other delegations became ill, or if ours, mysteriously, was the only one," Laura Bush wrote.
She also wrote about a fatal November 1963 car accident when she was 17 in Texas and at the wheel of a car that hit another, killing the driver, a fellow student.
"I lost my faith that November, lost it for many, many years," she writes.
"It was the first time that I had prayed to God for something, begged him for something, not the simple childhood wishing on a star but humbly begging for another human life. And it was as if no one heard."
The book is also devoted, according to the Times report, to rebutting critics of her husband. She calls insulting comments by the Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid "uncalled for and graceless”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH