George HW Bush visits White House
Washington: A dual interest in public service has brought President Barack Obama and former President George HW Bush together at the White House for a joint salute to volunteerism in America.
The first President Bush "41," he often calls himself came for a visit today to attend a ceremony Obama was holding to recognise the 5,000th Daily Point of Light Award.
Created by Bush more than two decades ago to honour volunteer service, the award`s name comes from the description in his 1989 inaugural address of Americans serving each other as "a thousand points of light."
White House press secretary James Carney says he thinks the president believes that President Bush 41 deserves credit for getting young people more involved in community service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation