George HW Bush visits White House
Washington: A dual interest in public service has brought President Barack Obama and former President George HW Bush together at the White House for a joint salute to volunteerism in America.
The first President Bush "41," he often calls himself came for a visit today to attend a ceremony Obama was holding to recognise the 5,000th Daily Point of Light Award.
Created by Bush more than two decades ago to honour volunteer service, the award`s name comes from the description in his 1989 inaugural address of Americans serving each other as "a thousand points of light."
White House press secretary James Carney says he thinks the president believes that President Bush 41 deserves credit for getting young people more involved in community service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him