Georgian lawmaker charged with plotting riots in Russia
Moscow: Russian investigators have charged Givi Targamadze, former head of the Georgian parliament`s defence and security committee, with plotting mass riots in Russia.
This was disclosed by Russian Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin.
Targamadze was charged in absentia with preparing to organise mass riots, jointly with Russian opposition figures - Left Front leader Sergei Udaltsov and activists Konstantin Lebedev and Leonid Razvozzhayev.
Udaltsov and Lebedev are currently under house arrest while Razvozzhayev is being held at a prison in Irkutsk.
In October, NTV, a pro-Kremlin TV channel, aired a documentary that claimed Targamadze had met Udaltsov to plan riots in the Russian capital.
Markin said the charges were brought after Russia received an official response from Georgia that Targamadze does not have parliamentary immunity.
The riots in question took place after a major opposition rally in Moscow in May 2012.
The rally ended in violent clashes between protesters and police.
Investigators say the clashes were organised by Udaltsov, Razvozzhayev and Lebedev during a meeting with Targamadze. All four men deny the charges.
Georgian prosecutors did not rule out that a criminal case may be launched against Targamadze should Russia submit a relevant request.
But they said Targamadze will never be extradited to Russia as it is forbidden by the Georgian constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...