German anti-terrorism chief causes bomb scare
London: The German police will fine the country`s intelligence chief for causing a bomb scare after he forgot his briefcase at a political gathering.
A briefcase left at a buffet at the Hannover Town Hall by Günter Heiss, head of the Lower Saxony branch of the Office for the Protection of the Constitution, sparked a security scare, forcing the evacuation of 700 guests at the Hannover Town Hall on Wednesday.
Ten police officers arrived with a sniffer dog. The dog gave the briefcase the once over and, reassured, the police opened the case, whereupon they learnt that it belonged to Heiss, who is responsible for keeping track of political extremists in the country, The Daily Telegraph said in report, which quoted a local daily.
"Yes, I left it behind," Heiss told the Braunschweiger Zeitung newspaper. "It was a blunder that won`t happen again."
The police decided to fine the man responsible for protecting his countrymen from terrorism. The Office for the Protection of the Constitution is Germany`s principal domestic intelligence agency.
A police spokeswoman ruefully noted: "These things happen." "There will be a fine," Stefan Wittke, the Hannover police spokesman was quoted as saying by the German newspaper.
However, it is still to be decided how much Heiss will have to pay for the "blunder".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city