German bank robbed with help of 100-foot tunnel into safe room
Berlin: A Berlin bank was robbed when robbers dug a 100-foot tunnel, which led into the bank`s safe deposit room from an underground garage, and escaped with their loot.
The robbers set a fire in the tunnel after they made their escape, to cover up their tracks, reports the Telegraph.
The break-in was noticed on early Monday when a security guard noticed smoke coming from the deposit room and raised an alarm.
According to Berlin police spokesman Thomas Neuendorf, the robbery looked ``professional`` as the tunnel was elaborately constructed with ceiling supports, which must have taken a long time to complete.
Neuendorf says police are still trying to determine the details of the stolen loot. The robbery had similarities with another Berlin bank heist, in 1995, in which thieves entered the bank through the door, took a hostage and demanded a helicopter and ransom.
Several of the thieves were caught after the police besieged and eventually stormed the safe room where they had holed up. The rest escaped through the tunnel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India