German bank robbed with help of 100-foot tunnel into safe room
Berlin: A Berlin bank was robbed when robbers dug a 100-foot tunnel, which led into the bank`s safe deposit room from an underground garage, and escaped with their loot.
The robbers set a fire in the tunnel after they made their escape, to cover up their tracks, reports the Telegraph.
The break-in was noticed on early Monday when a security guard noticed smoke coming from the deposit room and raised an alarm.
According to Berlin police spokesman Thomas Neuendorf, the robbery looked ``professional`` as the tunnel was elaborately constructed with ceiling supports, which must have taken a long time to complete.
Neuendorf says police are still trying to determine the details of the stolen loot. The robbery had similarities with another Berlin bank heist, in 1995, in which thieves entered the bank through the door, took a hostage and demanded a helicopter and ransom.
Several of the thieves were caught after the police besieged and eventually stormed the safe room where they had holed up. The rest escaped through the tunnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi