German bank robbed with help of 100-foot tunnel into safe room
Berlin: A Berlin bank was robbed when robbers dug a 100-foot tunnel, which led into the bank`s safe deposit room from an underground garage, and escaped with their loot.
The robbers set a fire in the tunnel after they made their escape, to cover up their tracks, reports the Telegraph.
The break-in was noticed on early Monday when a security guard noticed smoke coming from the deposit room and raised an alarm.
According to Berlin police spokesman Thomas Neuendorf, the robbery looked ``professional`` as the tunnel was elaborately constructed with ceiling supports, which must have taken a long time to complete.
Neuendorf says police are still trying to determine the details of the stolen loot. The robbery had similarities with another Berlin bank heist, in 1995, in which thieves entered the bank through the door, took a hostage and demanded a helicopter and ransom.
Several of the thieves were caught after the police besieged and eventually stormed the safe room where they had holed up. The rest escaped through the tunnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31