German chancellor says Russia-hosted summit is off
The Hague: German Chancellor Angela Merkel says this year`s planned Group of Eight summit in Russia is being called off because Russia`s aggression toward Ukraine.
She joins British Prime Minister David Cameron, who also says the summit won`t take place.
The US and other countries already had suspended preparations for the June summit in Sochi in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin`s actions in Ukraine. Putin recently annexed Ukraine`s Crimean Peninsula and has been assembling Russian forces along Ukraine`s borders.
Merkel says there is no Group of Eight either as a concrete summit or as a format as long as the political environment for it is lacking.
Merkel says leaders of the world`s seven largest economies will discussed the issue at an emergency meeting, but that concrete decisions aren`t expected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days