German chancellor says Russia-hosted summit is off
The Hague: German Chancellor Angela Merkel says this year`s planned Group of Eight summit in Russia is being called off because Russia`s aggression toward Ukraine.
She joins British Prime Minister David Cameron, who also says the summit won`t take place.
The US and other countries already had suspended preparations for the June summit in Sochi in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin`s actions in Ukraine. Putin recently annexed Ukraine`s Crimean Peninsula and has been assembling Russian forces along Ukraine`s borders.
Merkel says there is no Group of Eight either as a concrete summit or as a format as long as the political environment for it is lacking.
Merkel says leaders of the world`s seven largest economies will discussed the issue at an emergency meeting, but that concrete decisions aren`t expected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire