German chancellor says Russia-hosted summit is off
The Hague: German Chancellor Angela Merkel says this year`s planned Group of Eight summit in Russia is being called off because Russia`s aggression toward Ukraine.
She joins British Prime Minister David Cameron, who also says the summit won`t take place.
The US and other countries already had suspended preparations for the June summit in Sochi in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin`s actions in Ukraine. Putin recently annexed Ukraine`s Crimean Peninsula and has been assembling Russian forces along Ukraine`s borders.
Merkel says there is no Group of Eight either as a concrete summit or as a format as long as the political environment for it is lacking.
Merkel says leaders of the world`s seven largest economies will discussed the issue at an emergency meeting, but that concrete decisions aren`t expected.
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today
- Bachchans, SRK, Salman attend Bipasha-Karan Singh Grover’s wedding reception