German chancellor says Russia-hosted summit is off
The Hague: German Chancellor Angela Merkel says this year`s planned Group of Eight summit in Russia is being called off because Russia`s aggression toward Ukraine.
She joins British Prime Minister David Cameron, who also says the summit won`t take place.
The US and other countries already had suspended preparations for the June summit in Sochi in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin`s actions in Ukraine. Putin recently annexed Ukraine`s Crimean Peninsula and has been assembling Russian forces along Ukraine`s borders.
Merkel says there is no Group of Eight either as a concrete summit or as a format as long as the political environment for it is lacking.
Merkel says leaders of the world`s seven largest economies will discussed the issue at an emergency meeting, but that concrete decisions aren`t expected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!