German chancellor says Russia-hosted summit is off
The Hague: German Chancellor Angela Merkel says this year`s planned Group of Eight summit in Russia is being called off because Russia`s aggression toward Ukraine.
She joins British Prime Minister David Cameron, who also says the summit won`t take place.
The US and other countries already had suspended preparations for the June summit in Sochi in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin`s actions in Ukraine. Putin recently annexed Ukraine`s Crimean Peninsula and has been assembling Russian forces along Ukraine`s borders.
Merkel says there is no Group of Eight either as a concrete summit or as a format as long as the political environment for it is lacking.
Merkel says leaders of the world`s seven largest economies will discussed the issue at an emergency meeting, but that concrete decisions aren`t expected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata releases exam dates for PGET 2016
- India initiates process to set up monetary policy committee
- Interview for Indian coach: Panel was aware Sourav Ganguly will miss Ravi Shastri's presentation?
- Drone startup OpenRov developes fast underwater exploration robots
- Next Reserve Bank of India chief faces balancing act on bank clean-up