German composer Hans Werner Henze dies at 86
Berlin: German composer Hans Werner Henze, whose prolific and wide-ranging work included a wealth of operas and 10 symphonies, died on Saturday, his publisher said. He was 86.
Henze died in the eastern German city of Dresden, longstanding publisher Schott Music said in a statement, calling him "one of the most important and influential composers of our time." It didn`t disclose the cause of death.
Henze`s work over the decades straddled musical genres. He composed stage works, symphonies, concertos, chamber works and a requiem, and once said that "many things wander from the concert hall to the stage and vice versa."
His operas ranged from the 1950s "Ein Landarzt" ("A Country Doctor"), based on a story by Franz Kafka, to "L`Upupa," written in 2002 and the only opera for which Henze wrote his own libretto. Other works included the musical dramas "Elegy for Young Lovers" and "The Bassarids," and the oratorio "The Raft of the Medusa" -- dedicated to the Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara.
The Semperoper opera house in Dresden recently kicked off a tribute to Henze with a performance of his antiwar drama "We come to the River," produced in collaboration with writer Edward Bond and first performed in London in 1976.
Henze was born July 1, 1926 in Guetersloh in western Germany and grew up as the Nazis tightened their grip on the country. After studying and starting his career in music and theater in West Germany, he left the country in 1953 and went to live in Italy.
Alongside his operas, Henze was known for his symphonies, among them "Sinfonia N. 9," finished in 1997 -- a choral symphony based on Anna Seghers` novel "The Seventh Cross" that reflected his anti-fascist convictions.
His final symphony, "Sinfonia No. 10," completed in 2000, was premiered by Sir Simon Rattle with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.
As well as composing, Henze took teaching assignments in Austria, the US, Cuba and Germany. He served as composer-in-residence at the Berkshire Music Center in Tanglewood, Massachusetts, and at the Berlin Philharmonic, Schott Music said.
Henze founded the Cantiere Internazionale d`Arte festival and summer school in Montepulciano, Italy, in 1976.
Information on survivors and funeral arrangements was not immediately available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?