German diplomat wounded evading Yemen kidnap: Security
Sanaa: A German diplomat was wounded in the Yemeni capital Tuesday as he evaded an attempt by gunmen to kidnap him, a security official said.
The German foreign ministry confirmed that an embassy vehicle came under fire, adding that all passengers were "safe."
The gunmen travelling in a 4x4 vehicle attempted to stop the diplomat`s car in the Hadda district of Sanaa, which is home to many embassies, the official said, adding that the diplomat was wounded as he sped away.
"Unknown people opened fire today in Sanaa at a vehicle belonging to the German embassy. The passengers are currently safe," a ministry spokesman said.
"The ministry of foreign affairs and the embassy in Sanaa are in close contact with concerned Yemeni authorities to attempt to solve the matter diligently," he added, declining to comment on whether anyone was wounded.
Last October, a German embassy security guard was killed as he resisted a kidnapping attempt.
Two Britons and a German were kidnapped in January and February respectively.
Hundreds of people have been kidnapped in Yemen over the past 15 years, mostly by tribesmen who use them as bargaining chips in disputes with the government.
Nearly all have later been freed unharmed.
But in recent years there has been a growing number of abductions by Al-Qaeda militants, several of whose hostages remain in captivity.
Militants from the jihadist group hold captive Saudi diplomat Abdullah al-Khalidi, who was kidnapped from the southern city of Aden in March 2012.
Iranian diplomat Nour-Ahmad Nikbakht, kidnapped in July 2013 from Sanaa, is also held by Al-Qaeda captors.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram