German govt to establish panel on church abuse
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s Cabinet is meeting Wednesday to establish an expert panel in response to the recent spate of sexual abuse allegations in the Roman Catholic church and elsewhere.
The panel will be headed by the ministries of Justice, Family and Education and first meet on April 23. It will include 40 experts from the government, the church, charities and educational institutions.
Merkel has said before that the panel should examine past abuses and also reevaluate Germany`s current statute of limitations on sex crimes as well as possible compensation for abuse victims.
Germany has been rocked by a sexual abuse scandal at Roman Catholic and secular schools for several weeks with more than 250 victims having come forward.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC topper Tina Dabi's advice to girl students - Read
- Omar Abdullah rubbishes Mehbooba Mufti's claim, says ''she was aware of security encounter with Wani''
- Mainpuri Dalit couple murder: Akhilesh govt assures speedy justice to victim's kin
- Church attacker threatened France in new video
- Australian PM says won't back former leader Rudd for top UN job