German gunman kills self, 4 others in hostage standoff
Berlin: In a bizarre incident, a German man facing eviction from a flat, shot dead self and four other hostages in the city of Karlsruhe on Wednesday.
The man was facing eviction from an apartment in Karlsruhe insouthern Germany as he hadnot paid the rent.
Police commandos stormed into the apartment after smelling smoke from the top-floor apartment in Karlsruhe at around lunchtime following a standoff that began at 9 am police spokesman Juergen Scheufer said.
Inside they found the bodies of the suspect, as well as those of the court bailiff who had sought to evict the man, the locksmith who had accompanied him, the woman who was supposed to take over the apartment and another person, he said.
The man opened fire when the bailiff and others went to his apartment to eject him for failing to pay his rent, and then multiple shots were filed, killing one person.
Police then blocked off the entire area in the Nordstadt section of the city and called in the police commando teams. It was not clear whether they had ever managed to make any contact with the gunman before the hostages were killed.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 11 points in US presidential race
- Pakistan strongly condemns terrorist attack at Istanbul airport
- From criticism to unconditional love: Argentine fans urge Lionel Messi not to quit
- SC dismisses PIL seeking ban on WhatsApp, other messaging apps
- Arvind Kejriwal accuses political parties in Goa of encouraging sex, drugs, prostitution