German held on Greek island for spying
Athens: A 72-year-old German has been arrested on the eastern Aegean Sea island of Chios over suspicions of spying for a Turkish group, Greek police said.
The man who lived on the island for the past three years was detained while he was taking photographs of a military base, Xinhua reported.
Police said the man admitted he was taking photographs of military bases and infrastructure and was handing the material over to at least five unidentified Turkish nationals who first approached him in 2010 for at least 500-1,500 euros (around $660-$2,000) each time.
During a search at his residence, police confiscated cameras, personal computers, USB sticks, mobile phones, maps and "suspicious" print material.
The arrest comes just a few days after that of eight people - three Greek nationals and five Kurds of Turkish nationality - on the same island.
The eight are accused of terrorist activity, possession and transport of illegal arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report