German held on Greek island for spying
Athens: A 72-year-old German has been arrested on the eastern Aegean Sea island of Chios over suspicions of spying for a Turkish group, Greek police said.
The man who lived on the island for the past three years was detained while he was taking photographs of a military base, Xinhua reported.
Police said the man admitted he was taking photographs of military bases and infrastructure and was handing the material over to at least five unidentified Turkish nationals who first approached him in 2010 for at least 500-1,500 euros (around $660-$2,000) each time.
During a search at his residence, police confiscated cameras, personal computers, USB sticks, mobile phones, maps and "suspicious" print material.
The arrest comes just a few days after that of eight people - three Greek nationals and five Kurds of Turkish nationality - on the same island.
The eight are accused of terrorist activity, possession and transport of illegal arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016