German held on Greek island for spying
Athens: A 72-year-old German has been arrested on the eastern Aegean Sea island of Chios over suspicions of spying for a Turkish group, Greek police said.
The man who lived on the island for the past three years was detained while he was taking photographs of a military base, Xinhua reported.
Police said the man admitted he was taking photographs of military bases and infrastructure and was handing the material over to at least five unidentified Turkish nationals who first approached him in 2010 for at least 500-1,500 euros (around $660-$2,000) each time.
During a search at his residence, police confiscated cameras, personal computers, USB sticks, mobile phones, maps and "suspicious" print material.
The arrest comes just a few days after that of eight people - three Greek nationals and five Kurds of Turkish nationality - on the same island.
The eight are accused of terrorist activity, possession and transport of illegal arms.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India