German held on Greek island for spying
Athens: A 72-year-old German has been arrested on the eastern Aegean Sea island of Chios over suspicions of spying for a Turkish group, Greek police said.
The man who lived on the island for the past three years was detained while he was taking photographs of a military base, Xinhua reported.
Police said the man admitted he was taking photographs of military bases and infrastructure and was handing the material over to at least five unidentified Turkish nationals who first approached him in 2010 for at least 500-1,500 euros (around $660-$2,000) each time.
During a search at his residence, police confiscated cameras, personal computers, USB sticks, mobile phones, maps and "suspicious" print material.
The arrest comes just a few days after that of eight people - three Greek nationals and five Kurds of Turkish nationality - on the same island.
The eight are accused of terrorist activity, possession and transport of illegal arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says