German hostage killed by captors during raid
Abuja: A German engineer, who was abducted in Nigeria`s northern state of Kano in January, was on Thursday killed by his captors during a botched military rescue bid.
A military unit, Joint Task Force (JTF) traced kidnapped German national Raufach Edgar to a hideout near Bayero University in Kano but failed to rescue him as he was killed by the captors during the raid, sources said.
A military helicopter was used to provide aerial support to the forces on ground during the raid.
The fate of his abductors is not yet known.
Edgar worked for local construction company, Dantata and Sawoe before he was kidnapped by two gunmen on January 26 along a major road in Kano, where he was supervising some works.
A similar abduction of an Italian and Briton last year resulted in a botched rescue operation involving Nigerian and British troops.
JTF said they will soon hold a press briefing regarding the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India