German hostage killed by captors during raid
Abuja: A German engineer, who was abducted in Nigeria`s northern state of Kano in January, was on Thursday killed by his captors during a botched military rescue bid.
A military unit, Joint Task Force (JTF) traced kidnapped German national Raufach Edgar to a hideout near Bayero University in Kano but failed to rescue him as he was killed by the captors during the raid, sources said.
A military helicopter was used to provide aerial support to the forces on ground during the raid.
The fate of his abductors is not yet known.
Edgar worked for local construction company, Dantata and Sawoe before he was kidnapped by two gunmen on January 26 along a major road in Kano, where he was supervising some works.
A similar abduction of an Italian and Briton last year resulted in a botched rescue operation involving Nigerian and British troops.
JTF said they will soon hold a press briefing regarding the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city