German hostage killed by captors during raid
Abuja: A German engineer, who was abducted in Nigeria`s northern state of Kano in January, was on Thursday killed by his captors during a botched military rescue bid.
A military unit, Joint Task Force (JTF) traced kidnapped German national Raufach Edgar to a hideout near Bayero University in Kano but failed to rescue him as he was killed by the captors during the raid, sources said.
A military helicopter was used to provide aerial support to the forces on ground during the raid.
The fate of his abductors is not yet known.
Edgar worked for local construction company, Dantata and Sawoe before he was kidnapped by two gunmen on January 26 along a major road in Kano, where he was supervising some works.
A similar abduction of an Italian and Briton last year resulted in a botched rescue operation involving Nigerian and British troops.
JTF said they will soon hold a press briefing regarding the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you