German Parliament approves Patriots for Turkey
Berlin: The German Parliament has approved the deployment of Patriot air defence missiles to Turkey to protect its NATO ally against possible spillover from Syria`s civil war.
Lawmakers voted 461-86 today to approve the deployment of two Patriot missile batteries. The mandate allows Germany to deploy a maximum 400 soldiers through January 2014.
The Netherlands and the US also will provide two batteries each of the US-built air defence systems.
German officials have stressed that the mission is purely defensive and aimed solely at protecting Turkey. They say plans call for the missiles to be stationed at Kahramanmaras, about 100 kilometers from the Syrian border.
German military deployments abroad require parliamentary approval, typically granted on an annual basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan