German protesters to block nuke waste transport
Berlin: Protesters have braved overnight cold in northern Germany as they try to stop 11 containers of reprocessed nuclear waste from reaching a storage facility.
Workers transferred the containers early Monday from the train that brought them to Germany from France to trucks that are to bring them to their final storage place in Gorleben.
Thousands of protesters managed to delay the transport`s arrival, chaining themselves to the railway tracks or otherwise blocking the route. Hundreds spent the night outside preparing to block the way when the convoy sets out.
Activists in Germany say the waste containers, and the temporary storage facility, are not safe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city