German publishers file complaint against Amazon
Berlin: Germany`s book industry said Tuesday it had complained to the country`s competition watchdog about Internet giant Amazon, accusing it of using "blackmail" to gain discounts from publishers.
The US giant has been delaying delivery of printed books from Sweden`s media and publishing group Bonnier, which has 16 publishers in Germany, since early May, the German Publishers` and Booksellers` Association said.
It claimed that Amazon`s aim was to negotiate bigger price cuts on the purchase of e-books which the association put at up to 50 percent, a figure for which it cited media reports.
Bonnier, which owns German publishing houses such as Ullstein and Carlsen, has not confirmed it is in any dispute with Amazon, nor the reported details.
"Amazon is breaching anti-trust law with its blackmailing approach to publishing houses," the association`s head Alexander Skipis said in a statement.
"Amazon`s business conduct doesn`t just have consequences for the affected publishers, but represents a danger for all providers and distributors of e-books in Germany," he added.
The German competition watchdog must now decide whether to investigate the complaint.
For more than a year Amazon has been hit by intermittent strike action in Germany, its biggest market outside the United States, in a dispute over pay.
Amazon`s employment practices were the subject of a critical documentary broadcast on German public television last year.
The German Publishers` and Booksellers` Association represents the interests of about 6,500 publishing companies, bookshops and booksellers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31