German `serial killer` admits murder of three boys
Berlin: A German "serial killer" confessed after nearly 20 years on the run to murdering three boys, police said on Friday as they attempted to link him to further slayings in France and the Netherlands.
The 40-year-old German known as the "masked man", who had worked as a youth group leader and had already been questioned in the case four years ago, admitted to killing boys aged eight, nine and 13 between 1992 and 2001.
He also confessed to sexually abusing "several" minors. Police suspect him in more than 40 cases.
"Neighbours described him as socially inconspicuous, nice, helpful, neatly dressed, reserved and intelligent," chief profiler Alexander Horn told reporters.
The man, who was not identified, told investigators after his detention on Wednesday in Hamburg, northern Germany, that he drove one of his victims to Denmark and buried his body in a sand dune.
Authorities said they believe he also killed an 11-year-old French boy, Jonathan Coulom, who disappeared from a camp in Saint-Brevin in western France in April 2004 and whose body was recovered six weeks later.
French authorities in Saint-Brevin however said late Friday that no link has been established between the suspect and young Jonathan, while adding that the two countries would conduct all necessary investigations.
The man is also a prime suspect in the death of 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen in 1998 in the Netherlands, although he has denied involvement in either case.
"We want to determine whether we are aware of all of this man`s deeds or whether he may have committed other crimes," the head of the regional police investigation unit spearheading the case, Karsten Lemke, said.
The unit was established to hunt the killer of a nine-year-old called Dennis, who vanished during a school field trip on September 05, 2001.
Mushroom pickers discovered his lifeless body about 40 kilometres (25 miles) away two weeks later but the killer`s trail had long gone cold.
However earlier this year, a witness who saw a television programme about the case recalled seeing a station wagon parked on a forest path at about 4:30 am in early September 2001 with a boy who resembled Dennis in the back seat and a man in the front, investigators said.
The witness, who was a soldier at the time, was training for a marathon before he had to report for duty that day.
The brawny, bespectacled man in the car, who looked to be in his early 30s, matched a description police had received of the suspect from sex abuse victims.
One of the victims, who said he was abused at his parents` home in 1995, came forward to say that a counsellor at his summer camp a few months before the attack had asked him in detail about his living situation.
Investigators followed up on the tip, leading them to the man now in custody. He is expected to go on trial this year.
Police had long suspected a serial killer living in Germany to be responsible because of similarities in the way the murders were carried out.
They said they had followed up on more than 8,000 leads and investigated more than 1,000 sex offenders searching for the murderer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview