German woman denies Saudi sheikh extortion bid
California: A German woman pleaded not guilty Tuesday in California to trying to extort $15 million from a Saudi sheikh by falsely claiming she was sexually assaulted and tortured by his son.
Leyla Ors, 33, allegedly asked for the money from Sheikh Monsur Albalwi, one of the wealthiest in Saudi Arabia, in return for not testifying against his 23-year-old son Thamer Albalwi.
She and her two attorneys, Joseph Gerard Cavallo and Emanuel Karl Hudson, are charged with one count each of attempted extortion, conspiracy to commit extortion, conspiracy to receive a bribe and conspiracy to obstruct justice.
Ors was additionally charged Monday with one count of offering to receive a bribe, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney`s Office.
She appeared in court Tuesday and pleaded not guilty, as did 58-year-old Cavallo. Hudson, also 58, is due to be arraigned on July 30.
Outside court, Cavallo`s attorney, John Barnett, told reporters: "I don`t believe the evidence will show anything like the complaint alleges ...He committed no crime."
If convicted, each of the defendants could face up to four years in jail.
Ors told police in March that she had been raped and tortured by Albalwi, who was charged with four counts of sexual assault as a result of her claims, as well as a physical exam and visible injuries.
In June, Hudson allegedly called Albalwi`s father and told him that for $15 million, Ors would not testify against his son and "the case would be over."
On the same day, Cavallo allegedly called the sheikh and demanded $20 million, to be paid into an account in Lucerne, Switzerland set up to receive the cash.
Ors and the two lawyers were arrested last Thursday. On Friday, LA Superior Court Judge James Dabney dismissed the sexual assault case against Albalwi, the District Attorney`s Office said.
The attorneys were released on bail, but Ors remains in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm