Germans kidnapped in Lebanon freed, held on drugs charges
Beirut: Two German citizens kidnapped in eastern Lebanon were freed on Saturday, hours after their abduction, but police immediately arrested them on drug trafficking charges, the official National News Agency reported.
"The Germans abducted last night in the eastern Bekaa Valley were released today," NNA said.
"After they were freed, a police unit from the Internal Security Force arrested the Germans on charges of drug trafficking, and a search for the abductors is underway," it reported.
The Germans were seized yesterday by unknown gunmen demanding a ransom for their release, in what a security official said appeared to be a criminal rather than a political act.
The official told AFP yesterday that the abduction was more likely "for financial reasons", adding that a Lebanese man had called a friend of the Germans demanding ransom of USD 8,000.
The Bekaa Valley, which borders on war-hit Syria, is a lawless but fertile region where drug cultivation and trafficking has flourished for years.
During the 1975-1990 civil war, the drug trade grew into a multi-billion dollar industry in Lebanon.
The Lebanese authorities have struggled to eradicate the drug trade and carry out repeated army and police patrols in the region to impose the law, but farmers who mostly cultivate hashish constantly defy them.
Yesterday`s kidnapping was the first of its kind since 2011, when a group of seven Estonian cyclists were abducted and held for four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested