Germany backs Sarkozy on border protection
Brussels: Germany is backing the demand of French President Nicolas Sarkozy to give nations of the Schengen borderless zone more independent means to close off their national territory "as a last resort”.
Only days ahead of France`s first round of Presidential Elections where illegal immigration is a major issue, Berlin and Paris sent a joint letter to the EU demanding the "non-negotiable" right to re-establish national border controls for a month if need be.
Sarkozy has threatened that, if re-elected, he could pull France out of Europe`s border-free travel zone if more is not done to tackle illegal immigration. The purpose of the Schengen zone is to make travel easier between its 25 member countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet
- Why red snow of Arctic is a 'red alert' for the environment?
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe