Germany backs Sarkozy on border protection
Brussels: Germany is backing the demand of French President Nicolas Sarkozy to give nations of the Schengen borderless zone more independent means to close off their national territory "as a last resort”.
Only days ahead of France`s first round of Presidential Elections where illegal immigration is a major issue, Berlin and Paris sent a joint letter to the EU demanding the "non-negotiable" right to re-establish national border controls for a month if need be.
Sarkozy has threatened that, if re-elected, he could pull France out of Europe`s border-free travel zone if more is not done to tackle illegal immigration. The purpose of the Schengen zone is to make travel easier between its 25 member countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions