Germany charges another Nazi guard

German prosecutors said on Wednesday that they had charged a former Nazi death camp guard with helping to murder 430,000 Jews in World War II.

Updated: Jul 28, 2010, 23:06 PM IST

Berlin: German prosecutors said on Wednesday that
they had charged a former Nazi death camp guard with helping
to murder 430,000 Jews in World War II.

Samuel Kunz, who has confessed to having worked at the
Belzec extermination camp in German-occupied Poland in
1942-43, was informed of the charges last week, a spokesman
for prosecutors in the western city of Dortmund told AFP.
He has also been charged over the deaths of another 10
Jews in two separate incidents which also allegedly occurred
at Belzec, said the spokesman, Christoph Goeke.

He has been called as a witness in another Nazi war
crimes trial, that of alleged death camp guard John Demjanjuk,
90, a Ukrainian-born former US auto worker deported to Munich
from the United States last May.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish human rights
organisation which helps track down Nazi war criminals, put
Kunz at number three in its most wanted list last published in
April.
Kunz, whose flat was raided by police in January, denied
being personally involved in killing people, prosecutors said
at the time of the raid.

A spokesman for a court in Bonn where the charges were
filed said that Kunz was 88 years old. Other reports have put
his age at 89 or 90.

PTI