Germany criticises Turkey for blocking Twitter
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday criticised Turkey`s government for shutting down Twitter, with her spokesman using the social network to send the message.
"In a free society it is up to citizens to decide how to communicate, not the state," tweeted Merkel spokesman Steffen Seibert, adding the hashtag for Turkey.
Twitter was blocked in Turkey late Thursday, just hours after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan had threatened to "wipe out" the micro-blogging service.
Erdogan has come under mounting pressure since audio recordings that spread across Twitter and other social media appeared to put him at the heart of a major corruption scandal.
Germany is home to around three million people with Turkish roots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan