Germany criticises Turkey for blocking Twitter
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday criticised Turkey`s government for shutting down Twitter, with her spokesman using the social network to send the message.
"In a free society it is up to citizens to decide how to communicate, not the state," tweeted Merkel spokesman Steffen Seibert, adding the hashtag for Turkey.
Twitter was blocked in Turkey late Thursday, just hours after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan had threatened to "wipe out" the micro-blogging service.
Erdogan has come under mounting pressure since audio recordings that spread across Twitter and other social media appeared to put him at the heart of a major corruption scandal.
Germany is home to around three million people with Turkish roots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Jharkhand BJP chief's son accused of sexual exploitation, marrying a minor
- Mark Ruffalo wants full-fledged solo movie on 'Black Widow'
- Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' will hit silver-screen with songs
- South Sudan ceasefire monitors warn of violence
- Chennai Infosys employee murder: High-resolution image of suspect released