Germany: EU mulls new powers for piracy mission
Berlin: German officials say the European
Union is considering expanding the scope of its anti-piracy
mission off the Horn of Africa to allow the destruction of
pirates` equipment on the beaches of Somalia.
The EU`s anti-piracy force patrols the seas off the coast
of the country. Somalia has been mired in violence since 1991,
plunging it into a chaos that sprouted militants and piracy.
German Foreign Ministry spokesman Andreas Peschke said
today that the "limited destruction of piracy logistics on the
beach" is under discussion but "no deployment on land." He
stressed that discussions are ongoing and no decision has been
Defence Ministry spokesman Stefan Paris said an EU
committee on December 20 called for the force`s commander to
draw up plans for revised rules of engagement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH