Germany government wants general election Sept 22
Berlin: The German government has proposed holding the country`s general election on Sept 22.
A spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday that the date has been formally submitted to President Joachim Gauck. His approval is considered a formality.
Merkel will be seeking a third term as chancellor of Europe`s biggest economy.
Recent polls put Merkel`s center-right coalition slightly ahead of the main opposition bloc of Social Democrats and Greens.
But despite Merkel`s personal popularity among voters, observers say she may have to enter into a "grand coalition" with the Social Democrats if her current junior partners of the pro-business Free Democrats fail to make the 5 percent threshold needed to enter Parliament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources