Germany government wants general election Sept 22
Berlin: The German government has proposed holding the country`s general election on Sept 22.
A spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday that the date has been formally submitted to President Joachim Gauck. His approval is considered a formality.
Merkel will be seeking a third term as chancellor of Europe`s biggest economy.
Recent polls put Merkel`s center-right coalition slightly ahead of the main opposition bloc of Social Democrats and Greens.
But despite Merkel`s personal popularity among voters, observers say she may have to enter into a "grand coalition" with the Social Democrats if her current junior partners of the pro-business Free Democrats fail to make the 5 percent threshold needed to enter Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?