Germany government wants general election Sept 22
Berlin: The German government has proposed holding the country`s general election on Sept 22.
A spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday that the date has been formally submitted to President Joachim Gauck. His approval is considered a formality.
Merkel will be seeking a third term as chancellor of Europe`s biggest economy.
Recent polls put Merkel`s center-right coalition slightly ahead of the main opposition bloc of Social Democrats and Greens.
But despite Merkel`s personal popularity among voters, observers say she may have to enter into a "grand coalition" with the Social Democrats if her current junior partners of the pro-business Free Democrats fail to make the 5 percent threshold needed to enter Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi