Germany government wants general election Sept 22
Berlin: The German government has proposed holding the country`s general election on Sept 22.
A spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday that the date has been formally submitted to President Joachim Gauck. His approval is considered a formality.
Merkel will be seeking a third term as chancellor of Europe`s biggest economy.
Recent polls put Merkel`s center-right coalition slightly ahead of the main opposition bloc of Social Democrats and Greens.
But despite Merkel`s personal popularity among voters, observers say she may have to enter into a "grand coalition" with the Social Democrats if her current junior partners of the pro-business Free Democrats fail to make the 5 percent threshold needed to enter Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read