Germany marks 70 years since Wannsee Conference
Berlin: Germany`s President is marking the 70th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference, at which senior Nazis and bureaucrats coordinated plans for the genocide of Europe`s Jews, with a message that the country must never forget its responsibility for the Holocaust.
President Christian Wulff said on Friday that so much time has passed since the January 20 meeting in 1942 that the "state-organised extermination" and "cold cruelty" becomes increasingly hard to believe.
He says: "Therefore it is important and a national task to keep the memory alive. We cannot be allowed to forget that this — the unbelievable and unimaginable — actually happened."
He made his speech at the villa on Berlin`s Wannsee lake where the conference was held. It is now a museum and memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened