Germany marks 70 years since Wannsee Conference
Berlin: Germany`s President is marking the 70th anniversary of the Wannsee Conference, at which senior Nazis and bureaucrats coordinated plans for the genocide of Europe`s Jews, with a message that the country must never forget its responsibility for the Holocaust.
President Christian Wulff said on Friday that so much time has passed since the January 20 meeting in 1942 that the "state-organised extermination" and "cold cruelty" becomes increasingly hard to believe.
He says: "Therefore it is important and a national task to keep the memory alive. We cannot be allowed to forget that this — the unbelievable and unimaginable — actually happened."
He made his speech at the villa on Berlin`s Wannsee lake where the conference was held. It is now a museum and memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video