Germany marks anniversary of attempt on Hitler
Berlin: Germany held ceremonies around the country to mark the anniversary of the failed 1944 attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler.
The speaker of Germany’s Parliament placed a wreath on Wednesday at the Defence Ministry, where plot leader Col Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg and three others were executed shortly after their July 20 plan to kill Hitler with a briefcase bomb failed.
Later, German President Christian Wulff presided over the swearing-in of 470 new German Army recruits outside the Reichstag Parliament building.
It’s the first crop of new soldiers since Germany did away with conscription and went to an all-volunteer military earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM
- Hallmark, ISI Mark, BEE Label –Know which certification marks are important for products you buy