Germany marks anniversary of attempt on Hitler
Berlin: Germany held ceremonies around the country to mark the anniversary of the failed 1944 attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler.
The speaker of Germany’s Parliament placed a wreath on Wednesday at the Defence Ministry, where plot leader Col Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg and three others were executed shortly after their July 20 plan to kill Hitler with a briefcase bomb failed.
Later, German President Christian Wulff presided over the swearing-in of 470 new German Army recruits outside the Reichstag Parliament building.
It’s the first crop of new soldiers since Germany did away with conscription and went to an all-volunteer military earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital