Germany OKs bill to protect male circumcision
Washington: German lawmakers have approved a bill that explicitly permits ‘male infant circumcision’, ending months of legal uncertainty after a court ruling claimed that the practice amounts to bodily harm, prompting outcry among Jewish and Muslim groups.
The head of Germany’s main Jewish group expressed relief at the vote, which passed with 434 lawmakers in favour, 100 against and 46 abstaining.
“The circumcision law finally restores legal certainty. What’s important for us is the political message of this law, which is that Jewish and Muslim life is still welcome here,” the New York Daily News quoted Dieter Graumann, the head of Germany’s Central Council of Jews, as saying.
According to the report, the German Government moved swiftly to draft a law following the Cologne regional court decision in June. The ruling didn’t amount to a ban but raised fears of possible prosecutions.
Proponents of the law, including Chancellor Angela Merkel, noted that failure to protect circumcision would have risked making Germany the only country in the world to ban a practice that Jews and some Muslims consider an ancient and essential part of their religious traditions, the report said.
The new law grants parents the right to have their sons circumcised by a trained practitioner. Once the boy reaches six months of age, the procedure needs to be performed by a doctor, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!