Germany to walk out at UN if Iran denies Holocaust
Berlin: German diplomats are prepared to walk out in protest if Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad repeats before the UN General Assembly his past denials of the Holocaust, Berlin officials confirmed Tuesday.
A foreign ministry spokesman confirmed a newspaper report that Germany would respond harshly to any anti-Semitic rhetoric during the speech this Thursday.
"We are seeking a common response from the European Union (EU) nations," said the spokesman.
The plans were reported by the newspaper Handelsblatt.
In April, most EU delegates walked out of a meeting of the UN Human Rights Conference in Geneva, Switzerland, after Ahmadinejad claimed Zionism was "racism personified".
Handelsblatt said Israel had approached a variety of western foreign ministries in recent days to ask for a coordinated walkout from the room during Ahmadinejad`s speech.
The Iranian president said Friday at a speech in Tehran that the Holocaust was a "fairy tale".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why