Germany wants to question Snowden in Russia
Berlin: The German government will study whether US fugitive leaker Edward Snowden can be questioned in Russia, as it sought to calm tensions with London and Washington over spy allegations.
Members of a German parliamentary committee overseeing the secret services agreed to ask the government to examine the possibility of Snowden answering questions in Moscow, provided it does not create "difficulties" for him there, its chairman Thomas Oppermann said.
The former US National Security Agency (NSA) contractor has said he is ready to help Germany following revelations, based on documents he provided, that have included the tapping of German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s phone.
"Questioning in Germany is not up for debate at the moment," Oppermann told reporters after a meeting of the committee, adding it could not be ruled out that Snowden would be extradited to the US.
US Secretary of State John Kerry warned in German daily Bild against Snowden being granted asylum and called for his extradition.
"He should be transferred to the US where our justice system guarantees him a fair trial in line with American laws," he was quoted as saying in pre-released German excerpts of Thursday`s edition.
Germany has already rejected an asylum request from Snowden earlier this year on the grounds that any applicant must be in the country.
But opposition politicians and major media outlets have called for asylum to be granted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands