Germany wants to question Snowden in Russia
Berlin: The German government will study whether US fugitive leaker Edward Snowden can be questioned in Russia, as it sought to calm tensions with London and Washington over spy allegations.
Members of a German parliamentary committee overseeing the secret services agreed to ask the government to examine the possibility of Snowden answering questions in Moscow, provided it does not create "difficulties" for him there, its chairman Thomas Oppermann said.
The former US National Security Agency (NSA) contractor has said he is ready to help Germany following revelations, based on documents he provided, that have included the tapping of German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s phone.
"Questioning in Germany is not up for debate at the moment," Oppermann told reporters after a meeting of the committee, adding it could not be ruled out that Snowden would be extradited to the US.
US Secretary of State John Kerry warned in German daily Bild against Snowden being granted asylum and called for his extradition.
"He should be transferred to the US where our justice system guarantees him a fair trial in line with American laws," he was quoted as saying in pre-released German excerpts of Thursday`s edition.
Germany has already rejected an asylum request from Snowden earlier this year on the grounds that any applicant must be in the country.
But opposition politicians and major media outlets have called for asylum to be granted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics