Germany withdraws Yemen embassy staff

Germany pulled back all but a "core team" from its embassy in Sanaa.

Last Updated: Mar 24, 2011, 22:36 PM IST

Berlin: Germany said on Thursday it had
pulled out all but a "core team" from its embassy in Sanaa due
to mounting unrest in the strife-corn country, following a
similar decision by Britain.

The foreign ministry said in a statement that most of
its embassy personnel and their families had already returned
home to Germany, after a travel warning for Yemen issued
February 28 due to deteriorating security.

Only 36 of the 250 registered Germans in Yemen are
still in the country, the ministry said.

"Germans in Yemen are strongly urged to leave the
country due to the difficult security situation," it said,
noting that German aid groups had temporarily evacuated all
their employees and their families.

Britain said Wednesday it was withdrawing all but a
"small core" of staff from its embassy in Sanaa.

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh has ruled for
more than three decades but now faces an escalating campaign
for his removal.

The parliament on Wednesday approved a state of
emergency declared by the president last week, hours after
regime loyalists gunned down 52 protesters near the
university.

The opposition swiftly rejected the vote as
"illegal" and based on fraud and has called for fresh
demonstrations after Muslim weekly prayers on Friday.

PTI