‘Germany’s ex- fin min to challenge Merkel in 2013 election’
Berlin: Germany`s opposite party Social Democrats (SPD) will nominate former finance minister Peer Steinbrueck to challenge Chancellor Angela Merkel in the national election next year, a German newspaper reported on Friday.
Steinbrueck, who run the finance ministry during Merkel`s first term from 2005 to 2009, has won support from SPD leader Sigmar Gabriel. The official nomination is set to be made at a meeting of SPD executives next Monday, reported Bild, citing party sources.
Another two potential candidates, Gabriel himself and leader of SPD`s parliamentary group Frank-Walter Steinmeier, had quit the contest.
According to a poll launched by Emnid for German N24 television, 59 percent of people believe Steinbrueck would be competent for being Chancellor and 49 percent of the respondents think he is "sympathetic."
Besides, 45 percent of people regard the 65-year-old former finance minister``s political spectrum as a "conservative" one.
A previous poll showed that Merkel`s conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) won more support than its opposition SPD.
Merkel will compete for her third term in next year`s election, and has expressed her super confidence to win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!