‘Germany’s ex- fin min to challenge Merkel in 2013 election’
Berlin: Germany`s opposite party Social Democrats (SPD) will nominate former finance minister Peer Steinbrueck to challenge Chancellor Angela Merkel in the national election next year, a German newspaper reported on Friday.
Steinbrueck, who run the finance ministry during Merkel`s first term from 2005 to 2009, has won support from SPD leader Sigmar Gabriel. The official nomination is set to be made at a meeting of SPD executives next Monday, reported Bild, citing party sources.
Another two potential candidates, Gabriel himself and leader of SPD`s parliamentary group Frank-Walter Steinmeier, had quit the contest.
According to a poll launched by Emnid for German N24 television, 59 percent of people believe Steinbrueck would be competent for being Chancellor and 49 percent of the respondents think he is "sympathetic."
Besides, 45 percent of people regard the 65-year-old former finance minister``s political spectrum as a "conservative" one.
A previous poll showed that Merkel`s conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) won more support than its opposition SPD.
Merkel will compete for her third term in next year`s election, and has expressed her super confidence to win.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed