Ghana`s President John Atta Mills died at age 68
Accra: Ghana`s President John Atta Mills died on Tuesday at a military hospital, according to Information Minister Fritz Baffour. He was 68.
A statement from President`s office said: "It is with a heavy heart...that we announce the sudden and untimely death of the President of the Republic of Ghana."
Chief of Staff of the Presidency Henry Martey Newman said that the 68-year-old President died at 37 Military Hospital in Accra after being rushed there when his health deteriorated.
Newman gave no details about the cause of Atta Mills` death.
Mills, 68, was inaugurated in January 2009. He returned home on June 25 from the US where he had undergone gone a medical check-up.
Mills ran three times for president before being elected in the closest vote in the country`s history on a platform vowing to reform the West African country.
Information Minister Baffour also declined to elaborate. "Yes, I can confirm (his death), but I can`t say more," he said.
The President celebrated his 68th birthday on Saturday. Atta Mills was elected in a 2008 runoff vote and was to run for a second term in December. He campaigned on a platform of change, arguing that the western African country`s growth had not been felt in people`s wallets.
Atta Mills even put up posters of himself standing next to a photoshopped cutout of US President Barack Obama in an effort to emphasise that the Ghanaian stood for change.
The 2008 election was the third time that Atta Mills had run for president.
He spent much of his career teaching at the University of Ghana. He earned a doctorate from London`s School of Oriental and African Studies before becoming a Fulbright scholar at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31