Giant tent erected over Japan nuclear reactor
Tokyo: The operator of Japan`s damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is building a huge tent to cover one of the worst-hit reactors.
Officials hope the cover will keep leaked radioactive materials from spreading, prevent rainwater seepage and offer a barrier from further leaks.
The tent is being erected to provide a temporary replacement for the No 1 reactor`s outer housing shell, which was destroyed in an explosion caused by high pressure the day after Japan`s deadly earthquake and tsunami on March 11.
A spokesman for the power utility Koji Watanabe said on Friday that construction began this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees