Giant tent erected over Japan nuclear reactor
Tokyo: The operator of Japan`s damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is building a huge tent to cover one of the worst-hit reactors.
Officials hope the cover will keep leaked radioactive materials from spreading, prevent rainwater seepage and offer a barrier from further leaks.
The tent is being erected to provide a temporary replacement for the No 1 reactor`s outer housing shell, which was destroyed in an explosion caused by high pressure the day after Japan`s deadly earthquake and tsunami on March 11.
A spokesman for the power utility Koji Watanabe said on Friday that construction began this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq