Giant tent erected over Japan nuclear reactor
Tokyo: The operator of Japan`s damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is building a huge tent to cover one of the worst-hit reactors.
Officials hope the cover will keep leaked radioactive materials from spreading, prevent rainwater seepage and offer a barrier from further leaks.
The tent is being erected to provide a temporary replacement for the No 1 reactor`s outer housing shell, which was destroyed in an explosion caused by high pressure the day after Japan`s deadly earthquake and tsunami on March 11.
A spokesman for the power utility Koji Watanabe said on Friday that construction began this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city