Gill to address Republican National Convention
Washington: Republican party`s "young gun" Ranjit `Ricky` Gill has become the third Indian-American after Governors Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley to get an invite to address the party`s National Convention, reflecting the growing influence of the community in mainstream US politics.
Endorsed by some of the top Republican leaders, including former Florida Governor Jebb Bush and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, 25-year-old Gill is the only Indian-American from the party to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives.
"It will be an honour to speak on behalf of our Valley and Delta communities on a national stage," Gill said in a statement, as the Republican National Convention announced his name among the list of speakers for the first two days of the convention beginning August 27.
"While we face some of the greatest challenges, our communities are among the most under-represented in America. My remarks at the convention will focus not only on giving our communities a voice, but also on ensuring the survival of our American Dream for this generation and those to come," said Gill, who has been named "young gun" by the Republican Congressional Committee.
Convention Chief Executive Officer William Harris said, "We`re extremely pleased that Ricky Gill will be able to address the delegates, alternate delegates and other convention guests."
"The candidates who will be speaking, like the many others running for office across the country, represent the future of our party and a better future for our country. Their participation will help inspire enthusiasm for Republicans up and down the ticket," he added.
Gill would be speaking at the convention on its first day when South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley would address the thousands of delegates from across the country along with Ann Romney, wife of Mitt Romney, the Republican Presidential candidate.
Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal would address the convention next day on August 28.
The list of speakers for the next two days of the convention August 29 and 30 are yet to be announced.
Nearly 50,000 visitors are expected to come to the Tampa Bay area for the Republican Convention, including delegates, alternate delegates, media and other guests.
With Gill`s invitation, so far four Indian-Americans have made it to the once-in-four-year conventions of the Democratic and Republican parties.
California Attorney General, Kamala Harris, would address the Democratic party convention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read