Gillard not to move into Australian PM residence
Melbourne: Australia`s new Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who lives in a simple brick bungalow near an Indian take-away, will not be moving into her official residence -- for now.
Gillard said she would not move into the prime minister`s residence, The Lodge, till she was elected by the people. "I am very happy in my home in Altona", a Melbourne suburb.
She also has a flat in Canberra.
"Indeed, I believe it is appropriate for me to stay there until we have an election and I have fulsomely earned the trust of Australian people to be prime minister," The Age on Friday quoted Gillard as saying.
Gillard`s bungalow with a tidy garden is located close to a selection of take-away including Indian and Thai. There is also a nearby tattoo parlour and a fancy dress shop.
According to one visitor to the house, Gillard`s security measures up to now "involved her locking the front door, and maybe the back one".
Her home is nowhere close to The Lodge, which has a 1920s-style reception areas, artwork borrowed from the National Gallery of Australia and well-manicured gardens.
Gillard has support from residents in her electoral seat of Lalor in Melbourne.
Joy and Eric Vincent, who are Gillard`s neighbour in Altona suburb here, are happy on her becoming the prime minister.
Eric said Gillard is a "very nice, delightful lady".
The Vincents often collect the newspapers that are thrown onto the Gillard`s front garden, and neatly place them outside the front door.
"Her presence has elevated us and we appreciate the security we have here," said Eric.
Joy added: "We have to look out for each other."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez