Gingrich leads Republican presidential race
Washington: Newt Gingrich, the former Speaker
of the US House of Representatives, has surged ahead of other
Republican presidential aspirants.
The latest CNN/Time/ORC poll revealed that Gingrich was
way ahead of his nearest rival Mitt Romney in three early
primary States of Iowa, South Carolina and Florida.
Till a few weeks ago, Romney, the former Massachusetts
Governor, was considered to be formidable candidates to bag
the Republican presidential nomination to challenge incumbent
Barack Obama in the November 2012 presidential elections.
In Iowa Gingrich (33 per cent) leads Romney (22 per cent)
by 12 percent of the votes; while in South Carolina the former
House Speaker (43 per cent) leads the former Massachusetts
Governor (20 per cent) by a whopping 23 per cent.
"These numbers show a meteoric rise: Since the last time
this poll was conducted in late October, Gingrich has gained
35 points in South Carolina, 31 points in Florida, plus 23
points in Iowa.
"Most troubling of all for Romney, Gingrich has posted a
19-point gain in New Hampshire, once a stronghold for the
former Massachusetts governor," the Time magazine reported.
However, Romney continues to maintain the lead in New
Hampshire, which goes to the primary elections first.
In New Hampshire Romney has 35 per cent, followed by Newt
Gingrich (26 per cent), Ron Paul (17 per cent) and everybody
else in single digits.
Appearing on the CNN, the Texas Governor, Rick Perry, and
a presidential aspirant said that the race is still in a fluid
Perry`s voting percentage in all these States, according
to the latest poll, is in single digits.
"Newt`s numbers may reflect people who have been excited
seeing him in the news, watching him on TV in the debates, but
does he have that organisation to get people out into the cold
to the caucus sites?" questioned Michael Crowley, deputy
bureau chief, Time.
"The other thing I would say that might be a little bit
of good news for Romney there, I think Rick Perry has room to
"He is just starting to go big with advertising on
television, targeting a conservative audience in Iowa. I think
Perry has the ability to eat away from Newt`s lead a little
bit, so I wouldn`t count Romney out entirely.
"This is not the worst of the polls that we will see for
him," he told the CNN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues