Girl disabled in crash, awarded $36 mn payout!
London: A British teenager who was paralysed in a car accident and also lost her mother in it would receive a record 23 million pounds (over $36 million) as compensation.
Agnes Collier, 17, lost the use of her legs and most of the function in her arms after her family`s car was hit by a lorry. Her mother Karen Hood, 48, died and elder brother Rufus, now 18, suffered a serious head injury in the 2009 smash on the A436 in Gloucestershire.
The payout, approved by the High Court in London, is thought to be the highest ever for personal injury, almost doubling the previous record of about 12 million pounds, The Sun reported.
Anthony Norton, 48, who caused the accident, was given a six-month suspended jail sentence and banned from driving for 18 months. He has also been ordered to do 300 hours` community service after admitting causing death by driving without care and attention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!