Girl disabled in crash, awarded $36 mn payout!
London: A British teenager who was paralysed in a car accident and also lost her mother in it would receive a record 23 million pounds (over $36 million) as compensation.
Agnes Collier, 17, lost the use of her legs and most of the function in her arms after her family`s car was hit by a lorry. Her mother Karen Hood, 48, died and elder brother Rufus, now 18, suffered a serious head injury in the 2009 smash on the A436 in Gloucestershire.
The payout, approved by the High Court in London, is thought to be the highest ever for personal injury, almost doubling the previous record of about 12 million pounds, The Sun reported.
Anthony Norton, 48, who caused the accident, was given a six-month suspended jail sentence and banned from driving for 18 months. He has also been ordered to do 300 hours` community service after admitting causing death by driving without care and attention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says