Girl pleads guilty to assaulting elderly Sikh in Britain
London: A teenaged girl who was captured on camera severely assaulting an elderly Sikh man in August this year has pleaded guilty in a British court.
Coral Millerchip, 19, pleaded guilty at the Warwick Crown Court to assaulting the 80-year-old Sikh pensioner, causing him actual bodily harm, the Coventry Observer reported Thursday.
The incident captured on a mobile phone showed the pony-tailed girl, accompanied by three young males, kicking and knocking down the 80-year-old Sikh on Trinity Street in Coventry city centre around 8.30 pm Aug 10.
According to an earlier report, the incident was also captured on a closed circuit television (CCTV) footage.
The victim, who suffered a cut nose and swelling, hails from the Canley neighbourhood of the city.
Millerchip also spat on the victim and verbally abused him.
The shocking clip sparked outrage on social networking sites.
Millerchip`s lawyer David Murray told the court that she had entered her plea on a basis which was acceptable to the prosecution.
"This is a matter which was partially captured on a mobile phone and which was downloaded onto YouTube and received publicity nationally," Murray was quoted as saying.
Murray said he had an issue with the prosecution’s plea in relation to a part of the incident which had not been recorded, observing that the accounts of three witnesses differed.
Millerchip also pleaded guilty to receiving a shoulder bag, purse and laptop computer taken in a burglary on July 9 in Coventry.
Murray said he would not ask for a pre-sentence report to be prepared on Millerchip in relation to the assault.
The girl has not applied for bail and was remanded in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues