Girlfriend’s snub led Pope Francis to become priest
London: The childhood sweetheart of Pope Francis has revealed that she had been forced to reject his marriage offer in youth, a move which eventually led him to devote his life to God.
The woman, known as Amalia, said that when Jorge Mario Bergoglio was young, they were both just 12 years old in the Buenos Aires suburb of Flores, declared that ‘he would devote his life to God if he couldn’t marry her’.
However on Thursday, speaking from her home in Flores, an emotional Amalia said that the ‘romance’ did not prosper because of the opposition of her parents.
María Elena Bergoglio, 12 years the junior of the 76-year-old pontiff, said he never wanted to be pope and now faced a lifetime of ‘infinite loneliness’.
According to the Telegraph, she conceded that ‘having a brother who is a pope is a blessing from God’.
She said that it was a historic moment, as he is the first non-European pope, the first Latin American and the first Argentinian’.
Bergoglio said that she never knew anything about his young love life.
Amalia added that she has nothing to hide, as it was a thing between children and totally pure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users