Girl`s murder suspect arrested in Germany 25 years on
Berlin: German police have arrested a man on suspicion of killing a young girl more than 25 years ago, on the basis of DNA evidence, prosecutors said today.
In November 1987, nine-year-old Christina was found sexually assaulted and strangled in the western city of Osnabrueck.
"The girl did not hear her alarm clock, which is why she left late for school without the friends she usually walked with," public prosecutor Alexander Retemeyer told AFP.
"She took a shortcut crossing through a garden where it was a bit dark. That is where she encountered a 19-year-old man."
The young man tried to rape her and when the girl threatened to tell her mother, he strangled her, the prosecutor said.
The victim`s clothes were sealed and stored and particles of the killer`s skin were removed.
"With scientific progress in the meantime, it was possible to isolate DNA and the case was featured on the television show Aktenzeichen XY (about unsolved crimes), which led us to tips about a suspect" from a viewer, Retemeyer said.
"The suspect was ordered to provide a DNA sample, which matched what we had. He was arrested Sunday morning and confessed Sunday afternoon."
The man, now 45, was remanded in custody on a charge of murder to cover up a crime.
"The special charge is important because the statute of limitations on a killing alone has run out," Retemeyer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa