Girl`s murder suspect arrested in Germany 25 years on
Berlin: German police have arrested a man on suspicion of killing a young girl more than 25 years ago, on the basis of DNA evidence, prosecutors said today.
In November 1987, nine-year-old Christina was found sexually assaulted and strangled in the western city of Osnabrueck.
"The girl did not hear her alarm clock, which is why she left late for school without the friends she usually walked with," public prosecutor Alexander Retemeyer told AFP.
"She took a shortcut crossing through a garden where it was a bit dark. That is where she encountered a 19-year-old man."
The young man tried to rape her and when the girl threatened to tell her mother, he strangled her, the prosecutor said.
The victim`s clothes were sealed and stored and particles of the killer`s skin were removed.
"With scientific progress in the meantime, it was possible to isolate DNA and the case was featured on the television show Aktenzeichen XY (about unsolved crimes), which led us to tips about a suspect" from a viewer, Retemeyer said.
"The suspect was ordered to provide a DNA sample, which matched what we had. He was arrested Sunday morning and confessed Sunday afternoon."
The man, now 45, was remanded in custody on a charge of murder to cover up a crime.
"The special charge is important because the statute of limitations on a killing alone has run out," Retemeyer said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!