`Give 9/11 victims bin Laden`s bounty of $50 mn`
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 21:25

New York: Two American lawmakers want the 9/11 victims and first responders to get the USD 50 million bounty for slain al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, as the secret US operation in Pakistan's Abbottabad garrison town does not make anyone eligible to receive the reward.

"If the bounty isn't paid, Osama bin Laden's victims should get it," said New York Representative Anthony Weiner of the Democratic Party.

"I can think of no better recipient than those organizations which have committed themselves to helping first responders, their families and survivors whose lives have been forever affected by Bin Laden?s actions," he added.

Weiner and Representative Jerrold Nadler, also from the Democratic Party, introduced legislation on Sunday for the money to be given to the 9/11 victims.

In 2004, the then-Senator Hillary Clinton pushed for the passage of a bill that would allow the Secretary of State - the position she now holds - to authorize as much as USD 50 million as a prize money.

"Because there is likely no awardee for the USD 50 million bounty for Osama bin Laden?s capture, those funds should now be used in support of the thousands of 9/11 families, responders and survivors," said Nadler.

"I urge the State Department to distribute the reward money to established organizations and institutions which provide services and programmes to the 9/11 community," he said.

Approximately 3,000 people were killed in the 9/11 attack masterminded by Bin Laden.

In 2001, the State Department offered a USD 25 million reward for information about bin Laden's whereabout, CBS News reported.

54-year-old bin Laden was killed on May 2 by the US special forces in a secret operation in Abbottabad, 80 kms from Pakistani capital Islamabad.

White House Spokesperson Jay Carney, however, said that no one qualified to receive the federal government's USD 25 million reward money for finding Bin Laden because no one intentionally directed the US government to the al Qaeda chief.

"As far as I'm aware, no one knowledgeably said, 'Oh, Osama bin Laden's over here in Abbottabad at 5703, you know, Green Avenue,'" Carney was quoted as saying by CBS.

PTI

First Published: Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 21:25

comments powered by Disqus